About This Item About
Related Items


Interview with Florence Glick Greene



Florence Glick Greene was born January 1, 1900, in Muscatine, Iowa. Her parents came from Laskova, Lithuania, a small town near Riga. Her father came to the United States in 1890, and her mother came with their four children more than three years later. Florence Glick married Louis Greene on January 23, 1926, and they had two daughters. She died November 24, 1985. SUBJECTS DISCUSSED: Early life in a small Iowa town - life in Minneapolis in the 1920s - work experience - anti-Semitism - the Depression - social and cultural activities - immigrants' poverty.





World Region



Florence Glick Greene Narrator Rhoda Greene Lewin (her daughter) Interviewer August 13, 1976 St. Louis Park, MN

Florence Greene Rhoda Lewin


FG: What do you want me to tell you about this afternoon? RL: Well, I think I'd like to know what things were like when you came to Minneapolis, how you found a place to live, how you found friends, where you went to work, things like that. FG: Yes, and do you want to know why, the reason we came here? RL: Yes. FG: Well, we had really planned to go to Chicago, make the move because there was so little there in our small town. [Interviewer’s Note: the Glick family had originally settled in Muscatine, Iowa.] Most of the folks, some of the older folks, had passed on and young folks were all leaving, and so then when brother George's wife, Lucy, passed away at the age of twenty-seven, leaving the two little children, Bob, who was three, and Eloise, a year and a half, we talked it over and decided maybe we ought to come here to Minneapolis because there were two little ones that we might be able to do something with. And of course sister Elsie was with us, and we thought she could sort of take over. So we moved here in September. Mother came, and sister Elsie and I came, but my father stayed because he was a very wonderful man. He had come here to this country in 1890. He couldn't wait to become a citizen, and he was a such a good one that he told us we should go on, but he would have to come later because this was an election year and he felt that if he came here he was going to lose his vote in November. So he waited until he voted for the presidency [laughing] and then he came. We rented an upper duplex on the South Side, on Eleventh Avenue near Seventeenth Street, and we lived there almost a year, until we bought a home on 911 Fifteenth Avenue South. I got a very fine job in an office with the Drake Ballard Company. They were a bond and investment company, and one of the vice presidents, Mr. Jones, was a very good friend of brother George, who had been connected with the University. So I got a job in the mortgage department and it was supposed to be just temporary for three months, but they kept me for five months, and it


was a very, very wonderful job. I did quite well there, but at the end of five months, of course, I had to look for something else. RL: Why did you have to leave? FG: Because this was just temporary work, and the situation then, as far as the economy was concerned, was really very, very bad. RL: What date was this, what year? FG: 1921. I'm trying to remember whether I got the job soon after, or after the first of the year. I was supposed to work on the mortgages that were given to farmers, figuring out the interest on their loans. That was my job. It was just temporary, but in fact they kept me two months longer. They had to let quite a few employees go that had been there for quite a while, because the economic situation was really quite bad at the time, something like it is now. [Laughing] A little later I got a job with a newspaper, the Minneapolis Daily News, and I did fairly well there until the Tribune took it over, and then, of course, I went over to the Tribune. I worked there four and a half years, until I got married. But going back to the beginning, we joined a synagogue, the Adath Jeshurun, and we began to make many friends. They had a very wonderful Young Peoples' Forum that really was tremendous. We had a wonderful Rabbi, Rabbi Matt, and we met many, many folks who went there, some folks that are very prominent now, like Lou Shore, who was one of our presidents. And Amos Deinard used to come to our meetings, too. RL: What did you do at your meetings? FG: If I recall, they were just very interesting occurrences of the day, and of course there were some religious aspects. I can't remember too much about that now [laughing] but I know that they were very enjoyable until the synagogue decided to move away from that area and so, of course, this group just sort of petered out, and then there were other groups that started. There was the Junior Council of Jewish Women, which had a wonderful group, and we joined that, sister Elsie and I, and we met many wonderful people then. But that, too, just several years later -- I think it was because they started the Junior Hadassah group -- the Council of Juniors just decided to close. I was a charter member, of course, of Junior Hadassah. Sister Elsie, she worked at Powers, a very good job in the Book Department. RL: What did you do for entertainment? FG: We had this lovely group of young people and we used to have many, many parties. RL: You mean the Forum group? Or— FG: No, no, no, just friends. This was a friendship group.


RL: But these were people that you met at the Forum? FG: Yes, that's right. We seemed to become acquainted with so many wonderful people. And then we met the Abramovitz family, and we became very close to them. RL: Were they neighbors? FG: Yes. They were on the South Side at that time. I'm trying to remember when we became acquainted with Gazella Blumenthal, but of course she became ill and had to leave, and our friendship terminated at that time. But we really had just a wonderful social life and there were groups where we got together, like Hadassah, an organization that they felt was very necessary at the time. And then when the Daily News was taken over by the Minneapolis Tribune, I went over there and worked there for close to four years, and I really became acquainted with Louis then. [Louis Greene, whom she married in 1927.] Although I had met him before, because sister Elsie was working at the Settlement House, where they had young groups come, and the young people would get together and have interesting meetings, and a "social" was included. So she knew Louis, and one day introduced me to him. I didn't see him there again, but I did become acquainted with his sisters and we became quite good friends. It wasn't until I started working at the Minneapolis Tribune that I really became acquainted with him, because he was up in the news department, and of course after four years I married him. RL: Tell me about some of the amateur theatricals you were involved in. FG: Oh, as far as amateur theatricals... Down in Muscatine, Iowa—it was a town of 17,000—they used to have these affairs. They were fundraising projects for, for instance, the Elks, and I remember once Red Cross gave a play, and the Knights of Columbus. They would bring directors from the East who were professionals, and they would direct these. And I took part in them. I already had some ability in dancing, and I would dance around. [Laughing] I used to go out in our large yard there and dance, and the neighbors used to stand at the windows and watch me. [Laughing] When I was very, very small, I had parts like the Sparkler Girl, and then when I a year or two later, when I was a little more advanced in years, I remember being a little China Doll. It seemed like they always put me in dancing groups, and they always said that I was one of those who seemed to be quite good at this. And then I worked myself up to a leading role in one production, "The Maharajah of Indor." I was a Chinese wife, believe it or not [laughing], and they really fixed me up to look like a Chinese wife! In Muscatine I worked for a year after I graduated. We were planning to move, but I worked in a wholesale button company, and I did some special work for them, too, also in bookkeeping. I had a very wonderful boss. He was a very dear friend of my father's, and he was Catholic, and when I first came to work he called me up to his desk and he said, "I want you to know that I won't stand for any imaginary line here, and if you ever hear anyone say anything derogatory about your religion, I want you to come right to me." And I said, well, I certainly would do that. But I didn't have to. We all got along pretty well. And then he called me up the first week I worked there, and he said, “You don't have to work on your Sabbath.” And not only that,


he said when the sun sets on Friday, I can go home, whenever I feel that it is necessary. Such a wonderful man, Mr. Wessell. So I didn't work on the Sabbath. Of course when I came here, the situation was different; it was necessary for me to work on the Sabbath. RL: How did you feel about that, working on the Sabbath? FG: Well, I knew that I had no alternative, you know. I had to work. My father, after we bought our home, they found he had a heart condition and he wasn't going to be able to work, although he did get this job a little later as the inspector of meat at the Jewish wholesale meat company. So I had to really help at home. A good part of what I earned I had to give to my folks, so I really had to work. Father passed away, I think, in 1941, and mother passed away in 1936. Do you want me to tell you about the year you came? [Laughing] RL: No, I don't want to jump that far ahead. I want to stay back in your single social life in Minneapolis, what you did in the 1920s... FG: Well, then I started doing this interpretative dancing, and my sister Elsie used to accompany me on the piano. I used to dance for parties and organization affairs. I really had no thought of going into professional work, but my mother worried about me. She thought I wanted to go on the stage, but I never did. RL: You never were paid for doing this dancing? FG: Oh, no, no. RL: And you would do it just for Jewish groups? FG: Yes, except when I worked for the Drake Ballard Company and one of the Vice Presidents had a lovely party at his home, and some of the employees got up a program. We had one gal that was wonderful at giving interesting readings, and of course they asked me to dance, and I did, and I guess I made quite a hit! [Laughing] It was very well received, and they wondered why I didn't go ahead and follow up with that talent, and do something about it, when I was so talented. But I didn't. RL: What kind of music did you dance to? What songs? FG: I had a little Japanese dance, with a fan. I forget just what we called it, but I had a Japanese outfit on, and tried to make myself look as Japanese as possible with this curly hair of mine. [Laughing] I'd do this little dance, and I'd bend down and hold my little fan up to my face. It was kind of cute, and I performed it quite a number of times. And then there was the Jewish group here that gave an amateur theatrical. I think it was the Gymal Daled Club. And they brought one of the same directors that I had in Muscatine. So I was in it -- I can't remember whether my sister Elsie was -- and this director kept saying, "You know, I can lose my temper and I get very agitated, and there's one gal who I've directed


before and she knows [laughing] I'm very particular and I feel that everything has to be done just so, and I want you to be very aware of just what I expect of you!" RL: Was your whole group Jewish? Or were some of your friends and boyfriends not Jewish? FG: Well, when I worked at Drake Ballard I became very friendly with... I forget her first name; her last name was Ferguson. She was just charming and she did quite a bit of dramatic reading for different affairs here in Minneapolis, and we were very good friends. RL: You visited each other's homes? FG: She once had a party. And then, of course, when I went to work in the Credit Department of the Minneapolis Tribune I became quite close to a couple of the nonJewish girls, especially Catherine Fleming. She was a very wonderful, wonderful little Irish Catholic and she was a very interesting girl, and she gave a lovely party for me, a shower, when I was planning to be married. We really became very close during those years. Some of the other girls in the department, we used to have parties and we'd go to each other's parties. There was this little Duggan girl, very sweet, and we were quite friendly. It didn't make any difference to me what they were, black or yellow [laughing], Catholic, Methodist, Baptist. But when I was working there at the Trib I had a very fine young man... he was a Baptist... I guess the proximity is what did it. He was such a very, very charming, nice person. Everyone liked him. And we got to feeling very, very close, and he became interested in marriage, too. But my folks were really very Orthodox, so naturally I felt I couldn't marry him because he was not of my faith. Those things weren't happening so frequently -- intermarriages -- at that time. RL: Well, your brother George had done it. FG: Yes, George had married Lucy. She was a Unitarian, and her father was president of a Unitarian College. And of course when she and George were married, she said when the children were born, she was going to raise them in the Jewish faith. As I mentioned before, she had a strep infection and passed away, and then [sigh] George went back to school and finished his study in law, although he was teaching dramatics and English at the University, on the Ag Campus, at that time. And he went back and finished his law studies, and went into law practice. He left Minneapolis and went to Duluth, and took the children, and he remarried not long after that, his second marriage. We remained here and Dad became so beloved in the Jewish community, wherever he went. He was quite a fine person. Mother, too... very sweet and loving. She didn't get around much because she had arthritis, and it hampered her from doing many things, and going places. RL: How did your father get to be so well known in the community? FG: Well first of all, of course, he went to synagogue twice every day. In fact, it was because of that... He had the bad heart, but his spirit carried him along, and in the terrible


Armistice Day blizzard in 1941 he decided he was going to have to get to synagogue, no matter what. He didn't get there. They had to bring him back home and he went to bed, and that was it. Mother had passed away earlier, in 1936, the summer before [my daughter] Myrna was born. She was named after mother. After she passed away we sold the house. It got so that we couldn't keep up with it, so we let it go. The folks moved into an apartment on the South Side. Elsie was still here and was still with Powers in the Book Department until father died in 1941. Then she went to California, and by that time, of course, I'd been married and had two children. Anything else? RL: Yes. Talk about your father. FG: He was such a wonderful man, and he became so beloved by so many people, and he was so unassuming. He used to take his little shopping bag and come up on the North Side to shop for goodies in some of the Jewish shops, and he used to say, "You know, a lot of people, they talk to me and they greet me, and I don't really know who they are." Then when he got this job where he was to inspect the meats at the Jewish wholesale houses, he was worried because he thought they wouldn't like him. After all, he had to inspect their meat and make sure it was proper and kosher, but he said somehow, when he'd come, they'd be so happy to see him. He was very charming, you know. He was blond and he had grey-blue eyes, and he had a little auburn beard, and one day he was walking close to our home there on Franklin Avenue and a man walked up to him who was not Jewish and he took hold of his arm and looked at him, and he said, "Pardon me, sir, are you one of the patriarchs?" He thought it was such a strange thing to happen, and we thought it was really something! But it was just because he was such a grand person. And when he passed away, they said that he was the last of a certain order, and there wouldn't be another one like him. He was very, very pious, but he was a very generous man in his feeling about people, too. I'm trying to think of the word to say, when people are just out-going and they have no prejudice, even though they're very pious. He had that feeling about certain people... he always used to say that he didn't care what a person's religion was, if they were a good person. A good Christian to him was much more to be admired than a person of his own faith who didn't live the way he or she should! So he really was a tremendous person. He was certainly missed when he passed away. RL: Now, could you name some of your friends that you had in those days? FG: Yes. One of the very dear friends that we made in those early years, my sister and I, was Viola Hoffman. We lived next door to the Ginsberg family, and two of the girls, Pauline and Tina, and my sister Elsie and I used to go visit this Viola Hoffman. She was a very bright girl. And we'd come home and we'd say, "Oh, she's so bright." Well, she married Dr. Hymes, and she became this very, very prominent woman in the city. She was honored last Wednesday because of the wonderful and the unusual things she did, and the impact she had, Jewish-wise and, of course, community-wise. I think she even got an appointment once from the Mayor, and once, I think, something national, too, with a Senior Citizens' organization.


RL: And the Abramowitzes? FG: Bertha became our very dear friend. She was a very bright person. She was secretary for the vice president of Wade Sagless Spring at the time and we were very, very dear friends. She used to come and be with us a lot, and we got well acquainted with her family and became very close to other members of the family. Do you want me to tell about Bertha and what she did? RL: Yes, and all the other members, too. FG: Bertha went to California and married a postal employee. Their first son, Norman, was born there and studied at the University and wanted to go into Journalism, and then decided to go to Israel. And he is now a journalist and a very big man at the Weitzman Institute. And of course Elizabeth Nieman was also a good friend, and she worked at Powers in the Books, too. RL: She was an Abramowitz girl? FG: She was. And then, of course, there was Frieda, their youngest, who was a graduate of the University School of Nursing, and married and had several children. She was prominent too. She became very active as president of the Women's League of the Adath Jeshurun, and she had three children. Then she became ill with leukemia and passed away when she was very young. And then there was Oscar Abramowitz. He was an attorney, and he did very well, too. President Roosevelt appointed him in some big official job with the Housing Authority. He had an office in Chicago and he had quite a few people who worked for him. Unfortunately, he developed lung cancer and passed away quite young. It's very sad. RL: Is Fanny an Abramowitz? FG: Yes, of course, and Fanny is quite a gal, too. RL: She never married? FG: Oh, yes, she married. She married Louis Yurko, and she worked for JNF. She's really a very bright girl who did wonderful work for the Jewish National Fund office, for that movement. RL: Who else was part of your social life? FG: Little Claire Eisenberg. I thought she taught for a while. One of her brothers was Dr. Ellison, and we were very good friends. And then, of course, Thelma Seldes. She married this doctor in International Falls -- I forget his name -- and she passed away very young, after her second baby was born. Poor Thelma.


RL: And the Woolpy girls? FG: Mr. Woolpy was very active in the Adath Jeshurun, quite a man about the place. I don't remember his exact position, but the girls were very wonderful, especially Esther. She was just a very wonderful, wonderful girl, and she married an attorney, a Mr. Himmelman, and she became very much involved with music. She was quite a pianist. Another member of the family was Bess Woolpy, who married Louis Shore, the attorney. But Esther was the one that was a marvelous girl, and I think she had a lot to do with organizing the New Friends of Chamber Music. RL: What was her name? FG: Esther Woolpy Himmelman. Of course, she, too, passed away several years ago... A very lovely person. RL: You keep saying people were wonderful and marvelous and lovely. Why do you say that? FG: Because they were unusual. I say that because she became so much a part of music in the community. She taught piano, and then, as I say, I'm sure she was one of the organizing founders of the New Friends of Chamber Music. RL: But what were the qualities that made somebody wonderful? FG: She was so kind, she had such a wonderful personality, and was so friendly, and it was just good to be with her. Maybe you were a little better for her having passed your way. And of course I felt that way about some of the other folks that I became acquainted with. RL: It didn't have anything to do with what organizations they belonged to, or anything like that? FG: Oh no, no. Another very interesting and dear person that I became acquainted with was Ann Ziff. The Ziffs have become quite a well- known family in the community, doing many things…interesting, and religious, other organizations, other commitments. Ann was a very dear person and we became very, very close. She left Minneapolis then and she married a Cantor in Omaha. And it's so sad when these people that we knew... she developed cancer and passed away quite young. I remember when she was over and she was the one that had dinner with us that night when I had come from Omaha, you know, when I was expecting you, and that same night, or the next morning, I went to the hospital, and she was so surprised. It wasn’t so very long after that that she, as I say, married the cantor, and it’s very tragic…I'm trying to remember some of the other wonderful people I knew in those early years. RL: Who didn't you like?


FG: Who didn't I like in those years? Strange, I can't remember! I remember having a couple of boyfriends... [Laughing] RL: Tell me about your boyfriends. FG: Well, there was Hermie... Oh! The Mirviss family! My goodness, why did I forget about them? They're the ones we became so close to. I think they called him the Sexton of our synagogue, Mr. Mirviss. They were a very prominent and delightful family. Well, that was just a little "flurry" with Hermie. And then, afterwards, there were several I used to date. There was poor Henry Abrams I went with for almost a year, but he was just a friend. He was kind of jolly, and we used to like to dance together once in a while. And then, of course, there was Bob Shapiro. He was a young attorney and he lived in St. Paul, but we got acquainted and he used to come practically every Saturday. He'd come on the streetcar. Who had cars in those years? He used to take me out and we'd go dancing, and he had such a wonderful sense of humor and had so many funny stories, and it was so good to be with him. We were just dear friends, and we went together about two years, and then Bob left Minneapolis. I think he went to New York. But we'd had such a nice, wonderful friendship for two years. And then there was Marcel Schwartz, very charming. He was going to the University, and used to squire me around, and we became really very friendly and I went with him for a while. And then he went to New York, and we were still corresponding. It had become sort of torrid there for a while... and then along came Louis, and that was it. [Laughing] RL: Where did you go when you went dancing? FG: I'm trying to remember that place and I can't. Was it called Childs? Everyone went there. I wish I could remember... RL: Childs sounds familiar. Where was it? FG: It was somewhere in the downtown area, I think. They used to have a place for dancing, and they had quite a reputation for having this wonderful fruit salad, so we'd go there. We'd have some refreshments and fruit salad, and then we'd dance the evening away. It was a jolly place. That's where the young people would go. RL: Did they have an orchestra? FG: Oh, yes. They had music, and we'd dance. RL: Did they serve liquor? FG: Oh, no. Oh my, no! I don't remember that they had liquor at all. It was just a place where people went to eat and to dance. I'm trying to remember where else I used to go. It seems to me we used to go upstairs... Did they serve Chinese food?


RL: Well, Uncle John's was upstairs, but that wasn't a kosher restaurant. You didn't eat non-kosher food when you went out, did you? FG: That's right. But I think that's where we used to go. And that's, of course, where I went with Flossie Walter, my friend at the Minneapolis Tribune. We used to sneak out sometimes and go to a movie and then go up there and have an after-theatre snack. I'm trying to remember, but it's so many years. I was so young. [Laughing] It's 50 years ago! RL: At your Forum group that you talked about at the beginning, did you have any visiting speakers? FG: You mean at Adath Jeshurun? Oh yes. We used to have speakers and sometimes they'd have discussions. And we used to have some interesting literature where each one of us would read a part and then discuss it. I remember I was very shy, and I used to just kind of get butterflies in my stomach when I'd have to get up and speak.[Laughing] I guess I was that way for quite a few years, until maybe perhaps the last few years, when I've become so active that I really don't get very nervous when I get up and speak, to present some of my views on things. RL: Did you usually go out on Saturday nights, or did you go out on Sunday nights? FG: Well, there was a dance place out at Spring Lake Park, and that's where young people used to go, and it was Saturday night and sometimes Sundays. And we had friends... Oh, my goodness gracious, I forgot about Sophie Hyman. We were dear friends, too. She was a little bit of a thing, just as cute as a bug's ear, and she was just loads of fun. She was just so funny, and so entertaining. One of her sisters had a home out at the lake, and we used to go out there a lot. RL: By streetcar? FG: No. One of her brothers had a rattletrap car and we used to get in the car [laughing] and drive out there. I guess she's still around; I hear about her every once in a while. We really had a very interesting and busy life, my sister Elsie and I, in those early years, amazingly so. When we first came from a small midwestern Iowa town I was very slim, and they looked at me and they said, "You mean to tell me that you're a corn-fed Iowan?" Or they'd say "Look who's a corn-fed Iowan!" [Laughing] They thought it was a little unusual that my sister Elsie and me, we didn't seem to be "small-townish" at all. We became part of the scene and we didn't have any problems at all, integrating ourselves with many people. Like Helen Weingarten, who later became Dr. Siperstein's wife, she was one of the first people we met and were very friendly with, and we didn't know until later that somehow or other we had a family connection, that an aunt of hers was married to my mother's cousin. That was another very pleasant association. We were a part of Adath Jeshurun, but Rabbi Deinard was such a wonderful, interesting man that we quite often went to his services at the Temple [Israel], which at that time was on the South Side


not so awfully far from the Adath. It was a nice walking distance for us, so we used to enjoy that. He was such a remarkable man and so interesting. But Adath Jeshurun was really our synagogue, and of course would still have been if we had been close to it, but it moved away from us, moved way out on the West Side [34th and Dupont Ave S] and we just couldn't follow it... and that ended a nice era for us. Dr. Josewich was at that time, in those early years, our family doctor, but we became so well acquainted that he used to come to our parties. He was so delightful. We used to go up to his office quite often, after office hours on Saturdays, and he'd take us in the x-ray room and put us all behind the fluoroscope and tell us what our hearts were saying. [Laughing] When he'd let them look at mine, he'd say, "Now you see Florence's heart is a faster heart, but it's a good heart!" And we remained very dear friends. He was of course our family doctor, and it was always wonderful and very refreshing to be with him, so we were happy that he was part of our group socially, too, and would come to our parties and be with us. RL: Was anybody active in politics? Did you do any political campaigning or anything like that? FG: No, I worked for Red Cross, but I was married already then. I'm trying to remember... Of course, the Federation... RL: Did anybody in your circle get involved in union activities? FG: No, I don't recall anything like that. The Newspaper Guild, they came in later. I imagine there were unions here when we came from Muscatine -- they had already come in, I think -- but I can't remember any political involvement at all. There were charitable organizations, fundraising drives, things of that sort, though. RL: You mentioned the Settlement House. Which one was that? FG: Well, it was on the South Side, I think on Sixteenth Avenue South. They really felt that young people, it was good to get them together. Sister Elsie was in charge of one boys' group. And I think there was some instruction, and maybe activities, too, and some board activities. And I remember there was one at Elliot Park, which was also on the South Side. They had many groups, and once in a while we'd go there and we'd walk in and see what the young people were doing. But no, I can't remember anything about politics, except we'd become very excited when there'd be an election [laughing] and we'd talk politics, but I can't remember that we became involved in any way. Something I didn't tell you about father. When we first came here to Minneapolis, and we bought our home on 911 Fifteenth Avenue South, he thought that he could just take maybe one little part of the house, and it wouldn't be exactly a store, but he would have little things to sell. He never was much of a businessman -- he really was a scholar -- and just never seemed [laughing] to produce very much business-wise. But anyway, some of the people there in the neighborhood protested. They wouldn't allow it. One of the neighbors was the late Josiah Brill. And they signed a petition, and would not allow him


to do it. And there was my poor father, what was he going to do. [Laughing] So the little he had saved before coming here to Minneapolis was dissipated, and so he was really very happy when they asked him to be the moshiach, the inspector of meats. It wasn't such a good paying job, so that's why he had to have help. And when we bought that house there on 911 Fifteenth Avenue South, one of the families that had lived in it were the Friedmans. Dr. Isadore Friedman, and Bertha Friedman Aronson, Rabbi Aronson's wife, and Betty Sweet, they lived in that house. It was their home. RL: How many of you were there in the family? How many children who were born in Lithuania, and how many children born here? FG: They were in a place called Laskova which wasn't so awfully far, I think, from Riga, and there were four children -- Dave and Ed and Lee [Leona] and George -- who were born there. The ones who were born here [in Muscatine] were Harry and Elsie and myself. Of course, mother didn't come right away. Father came first, you know -- he wanted to establish himself -- and then he brought mother and the children over three years later, I think. Harry was born, I think, in '96, Elsie in '98, and I was born in 1900 -- I really started the century [laughing] -- January the 1st, 1900! RL: What did you do during World War I? Did you feel any involvement in the war? FG: Oh, my goodness, yes. We had that terrible flu epidemic, you know -- I think it was 1917 or 1918 -- and my sister Elsie went to the hospital to help take care of patients, and then she got the pneumonia and we almost lost her. I got sick, too, but I just had the flu quite badly, and got over it. Brother Harry, he was at the University of Iowa, and he had finished, I think, two or three years at the University when he decided to enlist with the 109th Engineers. They got on a ship, and somehow or other there was a report that that ship had gone down. And strangely enough, the card that was supposed to be sent -- when the young men reached France in the war area, they would send a card to the parents telling them they had arrived safely -- well, something happened to that card saying that Harry had arrived there, and it was pigeonholed at the post office, so we were really terribly upset. Then afterwards, of course, the report came that it was not the 109th Engineers, it was another 109th group, and I remember brother Harry writing and telling us that, like Mark Twain, the report of his death was grossly exaggerated! And he said that he could imagine himself lying on the battlefield, but never at the bottom of the ocean. Sad, that he had to die by drowning later on. He was in France two years, and when he came back he entered the University here, and finished his first year... RL: What was he studying at the University? FG: He thought he would go into medicine when he was down in Iowa, and then he worked in a doctor's office and it seemed as though that wasn't what he wanted at all. He would always go down in the basement and manufacture little electrical contrivances, so he thought engineering was what he should go into, and so he went into engineering at the University of Minnesota. And then of course he drowned after the first year here.


[Interviewer's note: Harry Glick drowned during a party on the west side of Cedar Lake in Minneapolis; he could not swim, but went wading in the lake and stepped into a dropoff.] RL: So when you got married, then, Elsie just kept on helping to support the family. FG: Yes, that's right. And I think brother Ed and Mary did a lot in helping them. Thelma [their daughter] came and lived with us [Louis and Florence] later. She studied music and she was part of the household until she married Sherman Greenberg. Well, that's it for now. [End of interview]